1) Be flexible with yourself – if you only have 5 or 10 minutes to practice an activity you love then do 5 or 10 minutes fully and with awareness. You will feel better, your heart will feel more joyful, your mind will feel more spacious and open. Your practice of anything – be it asana, painting, running, meditation doesn’t have to be 30, 60, 90 minutes long.
2) Do SOMETHING for yourself every day – even if it’s only for 5 minutes. – notice the residue of that practice and carry the residue with you into the rest of your day.
3) Make a date with yourself at least once a week to do something you LOVE for as long as you need. Again, notice the how you feel after your practice and let that feeling infuse everything you do.
4) Take your practice to work. Set the alarm on your computer or your phone. And every hour take 1-5 minutes to pause, to breathe, to move – even if it’s just to stand up and walk to the bathroom. If you do what you do with awareness and an intention to just be with yourself and your experience, then you are practicing!
5) Do 1 thing at a time. Put your phone down and focus on what you are doing. If you are walking – just walk; if you are eating, just eat, if you are driving, just drive… See what it is like to be fully attentive to and engaged in what you are doing, without outside distractions. That’s practice.
6) If you practice asana – pick your favorite pose and do it every day. If you have time, do your 3 favorite poses every day.
7 )Lie down and consciously rest (Savasana) every day for 5-20 minutes. Notice the way your body feels as you rest and afterward; notice your breath and the way your breath feels; notice your mind – your thoughts during your rest – without engaging in them – and afterward.
8) Take a class with a different teacher than you normally do. Or try a different kind of class than you normally take. Or if you don’t take classes, try one - just to keep things fresh, exciting. I find that I am always more present and attentive when I’m trying something new. Plus, it helps me to hear things in a new way and see how I can apply that information to my own practice and teaching.
9) Read something that inspires you! Be it an article or a book.
10) Write down or even say aloud, one thing you are grateful for every day.
SIGN UP to keep in the loop with all of our offerings and to receive
FREE inspirational tips on self care through Reiki and Yoga